Here’s my collaboration with Alex on Maker society:
Here are some key terms in understanding the maker society
Critical Making– The hands on productive activities that link digital technologies to society. Bridging the gap between creative physical and conceptual exploration. (Wikipedia)
DIY– The practice of building, modifying, repairing, and essentially making.
Makerspace– Creative, DIY spaces where people can gather to create, invent, and learn.(oedb.Org)
Maker faire– An event created by Make magazine to “celebrate arts, crafts, engineering, science projects and the Do-It-Yourself (DIY) mindset”. (Wikipedia)
- 3d printing.com– What is 3d printing
- makezine.com– DIY projects and ideas for makers
- guyhaas.com– Introduction to computer programming
- build-electronic-circuits.com– The simple guide to learning electronics for beginners.
- esabna.com– How does laser cutting work?
The most useful and interesting site in my opinion was Makezine. The Makezine website provides informational pieces on new and innovative designs and tips and tutorials on how to create these designs on your own. It is a site that is both fun to read and informative.